Steely Library phone number: 859.572.5457
Find Book Reviews
A book review is a critical article or report usually about a recently published book. A review is usually regarded to be less formal than a criticism. Book reviews are authored by individuals with a wide spectrum of interests and expertise, from experts in the field to casual everyday readers. Listed here are a variety of sources for finding book reviews.
To find reviews of items owned by Steely Library, search NKUIRE, the library's online catalog. Open the full record of the item or book. On the left side of the screen there is a link "About This Book.”" That link provides both professional and reader reviews.
WorldCat is an international online library catalog. The book reviews included are those contributed by readers. To access these reviews, it is necessary to open the detailed record for a book. Then open the tab at the top of the record, "Add/View Comments."
- Book Review Digest Plus
- Book Review Digest Plus Mobile
- Indexes reviews of current fiction and non-fiction, and provides review excerpts and over 100,000 full text reviews. Reviews are arranged by book. Includes books for children, young adults, and adults. Entries currently encompass some 1,300,000 reviews covering over 550,000 books and grows with daily updates.
- Books in Print
- Provides complete, publisher-verified information on all U.S. books in print. Contains in-print and forthcoming books, audios, videos, and e-books. Includes books, audios, and videos declared out-of-print or out-of-stock since 1979. Also includes full-text book reviews, complete publisher information, and information about authors/contributors.
- Literature Resource Center
- Full-text journal articles, literary criticism, reviews, biographical information, and overviews on over 130,000 writers in all disciplines, from all time periods from around the world.
- Library Literature Online
- Library Literature Online Mobile
- Indexes articles and book reviews in library and information science periodicals. Also includes books, chapters in collected works such as conference proceedings, library school theses, and pamphlets. Some full text available beginning in 1994.
- Choice Reviews Online
- Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries is the premier source for reviews of academic books, electronic media, and Internet resources of interest to those in higher education. More than 35,000 librarians, faculty, and key decision makers rely on Choice magazine and Choice Reviews Online for collection development and scholarly research. Choice reaches almost every undergraduate college and university library in the United States.
- One user at a time.
- NoveList is a fiction database that provides reviews and annotations for more than 135,000 fiction titles. It assists fiction readers in finding new authors and titles. It is searchable by title, author, or keyword.
- Provided by the KYVL
- Children's Literature Comprehensive Database
- In general, the majority of the reviews provided from review sources date from 1993 and move forward. In addition to the review data, the CLCD database has information about thousands of books that have been recognized as having particular merit. There are over 570,000 entries identifying these select books. National, state, and international awards back to the first Newbery in 1922 and hundreds of others.
These are a few of the titles, subscribed to by Steely Library, that provide reviews of books. They are accessible via the Steely Library's A-to-Z Journal List.
- New York Review of Books
- The New York Review of Books is available online covering 2005 to the present.
- New York Times Book Review
- The New York Times publishes a book review section in its Sunday paper each week. Online access to this section of the paper is available from 1985 to the present.
Book Reviews Available on the Internet
- Arts and Letters Daily
- Links to full text reviews from a wide variety of online publications. Also provides links to major book review sites.
- Book Browse: The Guide for Avid Readers
- The Reading Lists section includes Series and Sequels, which lists popular authors of series; If you Like ... Try, which covers Authors by Genre (Espionage, Thriller, etc.), Sleuths by Occupation, Titles by Topic (baseball, vampires, gambling), Oprah's Book Club Titles, Diverse Detectives, and Afro-American mystery authors; Place and Time, titles arranged by location or era; and Best Of, which lists award winners in popular fiction genres. Book Browse also includes book reviews and information about authors.
- The BookWire Index
- Provides links to booksellers, publishers, libraries, newsgroups, reading groups, author websites, reviews, and more.
- Genrefluent: The World of Genre Fiction
- Provides reviews of books in the following categories: Adventure, Crime, Fantasy, Graphic Novels, Historical, Horror, Romance, Science Fiction, and Young Adult. Also has an author index.
- H-NET reviews
- Book reviews in the humanities and social sciences.
- USA Today Bookshelf
- A component of the USA Today newspaper.
Steely Library phone number: 859.572.5457